www.tdcireland.com Forum Index
HomeRegister Forum About UsMembershipFixturesResultsUpcoming EventsPhotos Log in
Dashboard
Latest Posts
Past Events
Club_Championship
Videos
For Sale
Turbine
Private Messages
Search Forum
Your Profile
Child Safeguarding
FAQ

Recent Topics
» IMRC Autosolo 28th April 2024
by Philip on Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:43 pm

» 12th May 2024: TDC Production Car Trial
by Philip on Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:38 pm

» 2024 TDC Irish Classic Retrospective Trial Results
by Peespeed on Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:59 pm

» 13th Apr 2024: TDC Irish Classic Retrospective Trial
by lauraf on Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:13 am

» For Sale Toyota MR2 2001 MVAT/ Targa spec car
by Peterf555 on Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

» 2024 Latest Club Championship Standings
by Piers14 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:31 pm

» 24th Mar 2024: TDC Club Autotest Results
by Piers14 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:57 pm

» 24th Mar 2024: TDC Club Autotest
by Philip on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:53 am

» Round 2 - National Autotest Championship - Sunday 10th March
by guyfo on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:18 pm

» Connacht MVAT February 18th 2024
by Paddy_paddy on Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:27 pm

User Block
Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Who is Online

In total there are 462 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 462 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 604 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:26 am

How to build a Autotest/Multi Venue/Retro Rally Car?

Reply to topic    www.tdcireland.com Forum Index » General Discussion View previous topic
View next topic
How to build a Autotest/Multi Venue/Retro Rally Car?
J

Post How to build a Autotest/Multi Venue/Retro Rally Car? Reply with quote
For those of us contemplating preparing a car for use in Autotesting/Multi Venue/Retro Rallies it would be great if those who have already done it would post up information/tips/photos/links on how to go about it. Very Happy

To start things off, I found this thread on TheMiniForum where a guy documented the built of a lightweight Mini saloon for Autotesting.
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
Piers14
TDC Committee Member

Post Reply with quote
Hi J, Autotesting and Multi-Venue/Retros have quite differing requirements. AN autotest car needs to be very light with relatively low an stiff suspension. MVAT's and Retros require a softly sprung car that is road legal.

Here are some basics for building an Autotest Starlet:
Remove as much weight as possible. Trim the doors, rear inside quarters, boot and bonnet. Remove the seats, dash, seatbelts and as much wiring as possible..

You will require a drivers seat without headrest and if possible a cut down fiberglass race seat...

Remove the petrol tank and replace with a smaller 4 litre tank nearer the front of the car. A marine fuel tank would suit and are cheap at approx €20

If the car doesn't come with power steering it is advisable to get it fitted whether electric (corsa unit) or hydraulic.

Regarding suspension; you will want to lower the car within an inch of the front bump stops and make sure the dampers are new or in good shape. Using 20% stiffer rear shocks and springs will help.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
Piers14
TDC Committee Member

Post Reply with quote
Retro / MVAT cars are built quite differently as they are driven on the road. You can simply use a standard road car (pre 1985 model / registered prior to 1989) with harnesses, Brantz trip meter & timer for retro trials.. For safety fit a fire extinguisher.
For the car handle better it is a help to fit quality dampers. To protect the sump it is a good idea to fit a sump guard.
A LSD is a benefit but not essential.
Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
guyfo

Post Reply with quote
wow that mini saloon looks brilliant!
Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
J

Post Reply with quote
Excellent stuff Piers, thanks for posting up the photos! It's surprising how little info is out there on t'internet Surprised Using a marine tank is an excellent idea for a efi engine.

Here's another link I found to Paul Swifts site showing pictures from the build of his Mini Special. The photos are a bit small but I think in one of them you can see he actually fitted what looks like his small fuel tank over the front passenger side wheel.

Mini Special Build

One thing I've heard mentioned in a number of places is people having modified their gearboxes (Minis in particular) to only have 1st, 2nd & reverse but I can find anyone documenting how they did it.
Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:00 am View user's profile Send private message
Damien

Post Reply with quote
J wrote:
One thing I've heard mentioned in a number of places is people having modified their gearboxes (Minis in particular) to only have 1st, 2nd & reverse but I can find anyone documenting how they did it.

Basically in a mini box, 3rd and 4th are ground off the shaft allowing 3rd and 1st to be selected at the same time and therefore moving 1st to the 3rd slot.

Actually now I think about, I think its 4th and reverse, cant remember now. Rolling Eyes

Piers, do you have the suspension stiffened front and rear?

Last edited by Damien on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
Piers14
TDC Committee Member

Post Reply with quote
Yep, Its stiffened.. Cutting the springs down stiffens it quite a bit...
Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Damien

Post Reply with quote
you not find it better soft?
Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
Piers14
TDC Committee Member

Post Reply with quote
Well its not that stiff at the front where traction is required, but its important to reduce weight transfer.. Its a trade off between lowering the roll center, limiting weight transfer and traction. Coilovers would be a big advantage except that they are expensive.. Without a limo it is important to have more suspension travel..
Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
SProcket

Post Building an autotest starlet. Reply with quote
Having built a few racing cars I have a few ideas on how to build an autotest car especially with regard to lightening and stiffening. But has anyone any info on shocks or is that all classified.
Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
Piers14
TDC Committee Member

Post Reply with quote
Hi, The top option for the front are Koni Yellow adjustables, but they are expensive. I use Nissan Maxima ('95-'00) rear shocks; Just trim the lower eyelet shock mount slightly...
Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
SProcket

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for that info. Nissan Maxima shocks would give more travel, which would be good multi venue type events, but what about autotests. I got a set of secondhand adjustable coilovers for the rear. They lower the car by 60mm but have less travel and stiffer springs so not for off road use but I guess they should be good for autotesting.
What about roll bars. Should I fit them. And what about an LSD. Does anyone know if the one from a GT Turbo will go into a 4 speed gearbox from a Soleil model.
And while I think of it, what are the best tyres to use on the front.
Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
Piers14
TDC Committee Member

Post Reply with quote
The Maxima shocks are for a pure autotest car and only what I came up with.. Too stiff for multi-venue. They are shorter than the std starlet ones.
Coilovers for the rear would be way too stiff; If the rear isn't compliant the rear hops and digs in.. With all the weight removed from the car it is very light at the rear (one person can lift it)...
No need for ARB's. Possibly one on the front if you have a decent amount of suspension travel...
You don't require an LSD to start with, but the one you want is a torsen type (Quaife) with the 6 bolt holes. The GT has an 8 bolt diff and comes with viscous or clutch type lsd's..
The standard is Yokohama A539 175/60 X 13. At the rear use cheap 135 X 13's
One of the lads from Northern Ireland supplies these tyres.. I think they are €45 each..
Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
jm

Post Reply with quote
What tophock mounts would be good for a boxy multivenue starlet,
Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
Piers14
TDC Committee Member

Post Reply with quote
Hi JM, By 'tophock mounts ' I'm assuming you mean strut top mounts. The standard ones are fine if the rubber is in good condition.
Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:33 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    www.tdcireland.com Forum Index » General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: